Saturday, February 7, 2015

The facebook announcement I haven't made yet

Thursday, October 30, 2014

All right, I might as well make it official, instead of dropping hints like a person who just ate chili. I am moving to LONDON on New Year's Day.


What I'm telling my Mom:Yes mama, I'm going to a gray place. But there are gardens. No more tropicolonial decay or Aztec street names. I will carry with me some warm Caribbean kindness and a need for fresh cut flowers. I will usher in mentors and people I admire from all over the world, if possible. I'm going to a place where I can accelerate big thinking. And be less of a visiting alien. Though I may just find the tropical people in London, and start a cult. If you don't hear from me in a couple days assume I have Frozen and need sisterly love to come save me. I promise I will wear socks. And yes, if you visit me we can go for a phenomenal dry gin martini.

What I'm telling my Dad: Will be working in Biz Dev for new products & disruptive tech... developing International Product Partnerships for el Googs in Europe, Middle East & Africa. What this means is I will be mostly working with code I don't understand, cough changing the world. While Africa is probably going to be 0.1% of my work leads, maybe I'll find a way to meet you in Lesotho. At least, your daughter will be closer than ever to "top geek" because her job can only be sensibly described using inspiring-yet-nauseating tech buzzwords as seen on the cover of bloomberg businessweek. And yes, if you visit me we can go ogle some mummies. I don't really know what I'm doing, but I'm following my heart. It feels right. I have a vision. Besides, Anya & I have been talking about this move for a decade or so. I'm growing up Dad.

What I'm telling my Friends: You have a place to stay in London. Please use me in your network. I love you. I'll buy you beer if you bring me blankets. Just kidding I have like 700 blankets. Ill probably be walking around in a blanket the whole time. So in that case let's start something together. It can be temporary. Have any ideas? We only live once. Let's make it rain. I miss you. I need you in my life. Everything I have done I have done because you have shown me what is possible. Yes I actually mean that. Even if I haven't told you that directly in a while. I love the shit out of you, my amigos, so stay close and let's travel together.

What I'm telling myself: 
Believe in love... follow your heart. Believe in love... follow your heart.Nah, fuck love. Follow your head. Go somewhere cold and be successful for a while. Your heart will win in the end anyway. It's all so impossible to plan. The best you can do is chase a dream and let that dream evolve and say "yes" to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment